Sunday, January 15, 2017

Heresy Era Imperial Fists - Rhinos and Land Raider built!

Haven't been feeling the painting mojo over the last few days, so as a bit of a distraction I spent some time gluing my fingers together instead!


To transport the Templar Brethren, I wanted some sort of assault vehicle but didn't want to go all the way up to the Spartan. In general I prefer the Proteus chassis as it feels more Heresy-y to me, but only the Phobos has an assault ramp. So a Mk.IIb it is! I approached it with some trepidation, as the last kit I'd built had tolerances to the nearest half inch. This one in contrast went together like a dream! I believe they've re-cut the molds at some point along the way, as this kit was pretty long in the tooth comparatively speaking.


The two Veteran squads each get a Rhino to roll around in, and as usual the Deimos Rhino kits went together smoothly as well. I plumped for a few of the new pintle-mounted weapon kits, in order to mount each tranport with a heavy bolter. Theme-wise, the army is chock full of heavy bolters in fact!

Of course we're having rather Colorado weather of late, so while it was in the upper 50s mid-week, it's been below freezing all weekend and forecast to continue for the next few days. No primering for the tanks in the near future, more's the pity!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, those builds look very clean.

    Great to hear the IIb is recit as is been thinking of getting one. I do agree though, Nothing say heresy to me like land raider proteus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always fancied getting a MkIIB myself. The engine block and hull bolters are winners for me. You weren't tempted to get a set of Fist doors for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool engines - they'll be cruising in style :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've sprayed one squad in the last three months. Too damp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool looking transports. I've yet to try my hand at a Land Raider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good as always Joel! Btw I hate mk3 backpacks from the burning set. Why didn't they cast it as one piece! filling those gaps is nearly impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Col. Hertford: Aye, I've been very impressed with how much better the fit on FW's kits have become over the last few years!

    @Frothing Muppet: I'd considered it, but ended up settling for using transfers instead...

    @Manus: Indeed! Going with a mechanized force with these guys, everyone gets a ride!

    @Zzzzzz: Absolutely, I have a whole passel of stuff awaiting a sealant pass, just too risky with the cold and humidity outside of late!

    @Courtney Hollyoake: Thanks! I was rather pleased with how well the Mk.IIb went together, it used to be a very sloppy kit.

    @Greg Hess: Cheers, man! Aye, the backpacks are fiddly. I ended up going with some thin gap-filling superglue along the vents, and then a little buff. We'll see how they look once they get paint on 'em!

    Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking very well. My own Imperial Fists are coming up soon in my model rotarion. All the breachers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did those Rhinos. A mix of the older style in the style of the new Rhino kit. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MkIIb is a lovely bit of kit, and I have been considering scratch building similar sponsons for my own land raider (which has been in a box nearly since it was released).

    Heavy bolter upgrades for a rhino seems to be too practical for the Imperium, which I guess is why they disappeared post heresy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see how these build are coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Stunning paintwork on all your Imperial Fists! I'm in the progress of assembling a Imperial Fists army myself and I'm finding painting yellow quite... hopeless. I would greatly appreciate a step by step for your yellow scheme. For both your heresy era and your Imperial Fists from 2015. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Rory Priest: Excellent - Looking forward to seeing 'em!

    @Michael Corr: Thanks very much!

    @Lasgunpacker: Haha! Indeed, the march of time has apparently made many an Imperial vehicle less effective!

    @ScottShoemaker: Cheers, man!

    @Peter Johansson: I appreciate it! The yellow recipe that I use currently is fairly straightforward: I start of with a basecoat of Vallejo Scrofulous Brown (similar to GW Tausept Ochre), followed by a layer of Vallejo Golden Yellow, and then a drybrush of GW Flash Gitz Yellow. Once that's done, it gets a wash of GW Seraphim Sepia, which helps shade and blend things together nicely. Easy peasy!

    Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Transports for the points-pricey units, good choice. They do look far crisper than previous incarnations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Dai: Hah! They'll need a little protection, but does mean the unit is a huge chunk of points...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool army as always !

    ReplyDelete