Tuesday, May 3, 2016

NOCF 2016 Charity Ork Army - Green is best!

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!

It had been cold and snowy for the last five days here and as such while the Orks for the NOVA Open Charitable Foundation raffle were all built they'd been hanging fire until the weather turned. Which it has! Over the next week it's supposed to get up to 85F (gotta love springtime in the Rockies!) and I was able to get all of 'em prepped and primed after work yesterday. I'm planning on going through the process step-by-step and documenting it here on the blog, so that you will be as sick of Orks by the end as I am. Hah! The plan is to try and get two or three colors a day done until they're all complete, so today's post is just the first two colors.


The paint recipes were provided to everyone working on the force in order to ensure that all of the models end up with the same color scheme (more or less, they are Orks after all), and as it generally the case I started off with the skin tones first as it's the sloppiest part of the recipe for the orks and any overspill onto the clothing will be cleaned up in subsequent passes. The recipe calls for a GW Warboss Green as the base color, so the models got a couple thinned coats.


The second step in the recipe is a wash of Thrakka Green which helps darken down the tone and settle into the recesses for some initial shading. You gotta let washes dry thoroughly before moving on so this was the last step of the evening (the wash is still damp in the pic as you can see), the models are left to dry overnight in preparation for the next couple skin colors on deck for tonight's painting session! 40 models is really about the limit for batch painting for me - any more than that and it REALLY starts to get tedious. Still, I'm really enjoying this project so far, it's been ages since I painted any Orks, and the color palate is radically different than what I've been working on recently which is very nice.

A couple other fellow bloggers have started posting their work for the NOCF as well, and I'll do my best to keep up with them (drop me a line if you're taking part and I've missed your posts):

Zab at Almost Perftec is painting up some Malifaux and Wrath of Kings models that are looking awesome!
Greg Hess at Feed Your Nerd is working up some Grots and a Flying Deff Dread!

More links to come as people get cracking!

7 comments:

  1. You know it took me a minute to realize it was you in the charity thread...then I got uber excited! Glad to be painting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! 40! Man you is crazy. I look forward to your progress though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good start thus far. The green isn't all that different from the one you use as a spot colour. At least not from where I'm looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of green! Great start mate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Greg Hess: Hah! I'm in the same boat, couple folks I only know by blogger handles so seeing their names have been "aha!" moments!

    @NafNaf: I'm sure I'll be regretting it towards the end of the project, but it's such a change of pace in both sculpt and color scheme it's actually feeling good!

    @Dai: Indeed, it's fun to use a BUNCH of green for a change!

    @Col. Hertford: Thanks very much!

    Cheers, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah because it only gets really redious at 41+ models :P

    Good start man, I will be keeping this one for when I try my small ork force as a break from Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rory Priest: Hah! Exactly, 41 models? That's just madness! :D

    I am quite enjoying the change in both sculpt and color scheme, that's for sure - makes for a nice break from the power armour!

    ReplyDelete