Friday, August 9, 2013

Imperial Guard - Medusa Emplacement rebased

Pressing on with the guard, and went back to one of the old models to start the touch-up process. One of the units that needed updating to the current scheme was the Medusa emplacement. That is primarily accomplished with re-basing it, taking it from the old concrete rubble style as seen in this old photo to the current grass and rock theme to match the rest of the army.


The Medusa is hands down my favorite artillery piece, and my favorite things about the emplaced version (in 5th edition at least), was that there was a rule that allowed immobile units to be deployed via deep strike. "Surprise! Medusa from the skies!" I've always wanted to create some parachute shrouds to add to the base, but I'm not sure that the rule still applies in 6th edition.


At this point however, the trooper's fatigues and the weapon's banding don't match the dark blue/black of the majority of the army, which I'm thinking of justifying as the medusa emplacement being from the 7th's A company, rather than D company which comprises the majority of my army and therefore have a slight variation on the color scheme. This is in no way a craven attempt to not have to repaint them. No sir. The Master of Ordnance and Bodyguard models I have (who are ostensibly from regimental command) wear the reversed colors with grey fatigues and red armor, so it all kind of works (if you squint)! This also raises the idea that when I'm done with D company, I can move on and start working on A, B and/or C Companies and explore some other color combos...

Just 5 days until GenCon! Woo-hoo!

9 comments:

  1. I hadn't realised just how big that piece was from looking at the FW images - its' huge.

    The re-basing is a defintie improvement I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a big gun! Nice job man. Have fun at GenCon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is not enough towed artillery in 40k! Looks good though, and I think an army without a coherent basing scheme detracts greatly from the quality of the figures so I'm glad this now matches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both bases look great - never got into the Medusa having been brought up on the Basilisk but the model looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Da Masta Cheef: Thanks much!

    @Frothing Muppet: Aye, it took me by surprise when I first put it together too. It definitely pops better with the green and brown base.

    @17yearoldhobbyist: I appreciate it! GenCon is gonna be a blast!

    @Sir Tainly: Indeed! I really need to get a Trojan ammo/tow vehicle to accompany it. I totally agree on the basing, I think this was the last of the models that still had the old scheme.

    @Colonel Scipio: I'm a big fan of the Basilisk as well, but the 'no minimum distance' of the Medusa I find handy on the tables I tend to play on.

    Cheers all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big guns certainly look pretty. New basing is great, you've really come far with your skills since you originally posted this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jugger: Thanks mate!

    @Dai: I appreciate it - I definitely enjoy the artillery emplacements, really want to get a couple more (not that I need more)!

    ReplyDelete