Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Eldar - Crimson Hunter Painted

Braved the heat up in the hobby loft to finish up the Crimson Hunter after work today. All in all I decided to keep it simple, and let the red fade take center stage on the model. It is called a Crimson Hunter, after all! The leather brown from earlier acted as the base for the bone colored panels, weapons and engines.


The canopy got the same treatment as the rest of the vehicles in the army to help tie it all together. On the other hand, the red gems that I've been adding to all the predominantly blue vehicles wouldn't really work against the red on the flyer, so I went with blue gems instead - sort of a reversal of the Alaitoc scheme!


All in all a rather fun model to build and paint - it was amusing to paint an Eldar model in what was essentially the same paint scheme as my old Dark Eldar army! There's not really a whole lot left to paint in the army at this point:


A couple aspect warrior squads, a unit of Wraithblades and a mess o' characters. I'm saving the characters for last, and I think knocking out the Dire Avengers will be next, just to churn through the largest remaining unit. I'm hoping to have the army done in time to put it up on the auction block prior to GenCon, and raise a little extra spending money for the trip!

16 comments:

  1. Nice work, I like the final look. The contrasting colors makes it complete. It did look a bit strange when purely read and I had my doubts if you would pull it of, giving such a large vehicle such an eye popping color can easily make it stand out in the wrong way. Cudos for trying out a bold paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the effect on the canopy..amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your are cranking those and they look great! Nice job tying it into the rest of the army.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that turned out fantastically, and you're really powering through these guys. Very impressive all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Agis: Thanks! I was in the same boat, was worried it was going to be too red overall, but the bone and blue toned it down enough that it's not overwhelming.

    @Sir Tainly: I appreciate it!

    @Zab: I'm very surprised at how quickly the army is going too. Thanks!

    @Evan S: Cheers, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this. It brings some grimdark to the eldar in a great way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is probably your best work I've ever seen Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great! I really, really like the red!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The paintjob is really good, very well executed.
    Why did you decide to stray from the blue? And could we see them together please, I'm having a hard time imagining what they look like next to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous work mate. Really like that the canopy colour translated well onto this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. Love the canopy and blue gems. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ScottShoemaker: Hah! Indeed - I sort of wish I still had my Dark Eldar to run a Light/Dark allied army!

    @Tristan M: I really appreciate the kind words!

    @17yearoldhobbyist: Thanks mate!

    @Manus: Thanks! I'm going with the "aspect warriors wear their own colors" thing with the army, as such just the characters/guardians/vehicles bear the Alaitoc scheme. That lets me play with a bunch of different color schemes within a single army. I'll get a group shot up shortly!

    @Dai: Cheers! I was concerned it would look odd against the red, but it seemed to work out okay.

    @Royce Peterson: Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never end up disappointed coming here. Everything is so well done. That blending is really impressive and very natural looking - and I can see loads of thought/time has gone into the decision process for colour selection as well. Excellent job sir.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Colonel Scipio: Aw, shucks man - thanks! I do try and go into the painting with a plan in mind, in this case I was originally planning on doing a pure reversal of the Alaitoc scheme with sponged/mottled red, but settled on the bright-to-dark red fade instead. This army has mostly been an exercise in experimenting with different techniques, which has been quite rewarding! I'm definitely learning a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool man.. The Canopy really looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Todd Sherman: Thanks mate! I was worried that it would clash, but it worked out okay in the end!

    ReplyDelete