Sunday, June 2, 2013

Eldar - Alaitoc it is! Wraithlord painted, and more work on the big guy

Had a nearly free Sunday today and settled in to do a test model for the craftworld I settled on - Alaitoc's mottled blue and yellow has long been my favorite, but since it had been three years since I tried it, I decided I'd start off with the Wraithlord before I try scaling it up to the Wraithknight.


I started off with a midnight blue basecoat over black primer, then sponged on magic blue and ice blue. Once that was all done, I gave it a guilliman blue wash to tone it all down and tie it together. The joints were given a boltgun metal and black wash, and the weapons and head picked out in bone.



The cloth was given the yellow treatment, then I went in and picked out the umpteen dozen gemstones. Holy cow there were a bunch! Overall I'm happy with how it turned out, and the end result matches more or less what I had intended (which isn't always how it happens)... Hah!


I was itching to work on the Wraithknight some more, so I gave it the mottled blue treatment and snapped a few pics while I awaited all the wash to dry in the little nooks and crannies.


I'm thinking I'm going to go much the same with the Knight, i.e. the weapons in bone, reddish gemstones, and bone color on the helmet. I need to figure out what is going to be yellow though, perhaps just some trim on a few of the armor plates. In retrospect, I should have added some cloth-style banner bits, but I don't really have anything suitably eldar-ish... Something to think about for the second knight I'm planning...

12 comments:

  1. Looks the goods to my eyes. I had never considered using foam to get the pattern with the blues - I always anticipated hand painting it. This is a neat trick that has many applications I think - I'll remember that if I ever need to achieve a similar finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good so far! I had to paint up an Alaitoc army for Gamesday back in '02, and it was alot of fun. I wish I would have known this technique back them. Can't wait to see it all done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The WL looks good and the pose for the WK is quite wonderful. Did you reinforce it at all or are you just trusting the polystyrene cement ?

    Excellent models (not really "minis" are they ?) either way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks folks!

    @Frothing Muppet: I don't use sponging too often other than for weathering, but in this case it definitely saved time and came up with a better randomized pattern than I could have accomplished with brushes. Not to mention it was super quick!

    @Agemmanjw: Thanks! It's coming along nicely, hope to have Wraithknight finished off in the next couple days!

    @Zzzzzz: I appreciate it! Most of the leg/hip joints got a little blob of greenstuff and the ankle joint that's bearing all the weight got a pretty big pin, but overall I'm rather surprised at how lightweight the model is. Hopefully it won't break off at the ankle anytime soon!

    Cheers all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the effect you have going with the blues. It give it kind of a deep space look to it. If you had some small white dots on it too they would look like distant stars. I think it gives it a very ethereal look about them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Col. Dracus: Thanks mate! That's a cool thought - I may have to see if I can pull that off on a model somewhere in the army. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work sir, I really like how the blues have a nice shimmering effect overall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the posing of the WraithKnight! Great scheme too, moody.

    Maybe GW will make an Imperial Knight now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've done well, Mordian7th. Give yourself a pat on the back. Looking forward to tomorrows post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Headologist: It was unintentional, I assure you. :) I'm really happy with how the two-tone sponging worked out honestly. It's a Bob Ross moment - "happy little accidente"!

    @Siph_Horridus: Thanks mate! I'm quite hoping we'll see Imperial Knights - with the sneak preview of the Lord of Battle-esque Apocalypse thing coming down the pipe, we're seeing more of that scale from the old Epic days!

    @a Sent One: Cheers! Managed to get the bone and the yellow in tonight, but got too dark to take good pics - will snap a few over my lunch hour tomorrow though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic, that mottling really makes the 'knight look menacing (quite literally made of space). Can't wait to see it with the bone on like the 'lord, it'll be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete