Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pre Heresy Emperor's Children - Land Raider test model in process

Hobby ADHD? Whatever do you mean?


It's been murderously hot up in the hobby loft of late so I haven't done a whole lot of painting worth taking pictures of. Prior to the whole shake-up causing me to offload the World Eaters, I was slowly gathering parts for the next Heresy-Era army, the Emperor's Children. One of the things I had planned to use in that army is a Mk IIb Land Raider I've had sitting on the shelf for years and years.


Originally it was going to be a transport for a Adeptus Custodes army, but that really never got off the ground. As such, I was stuck with a tank liberally festooned with Aquilas and Eagles, which is against the fluff for the majority of the legions, as only the Custodes and the Emperor's Children were allowed to wear them throughout most of the Heresy. So with the Custodes out the window, the tank instead got a few lashings of purple and gold!


Of course, with my desire to paint marines on the wane at the moment, this will likely go back on the shelf for a while, but I figured I'd share the pics in process in the meantime! I did work a little on the two Tech-Priest models I'd purchased from Blight Wheel miniatures, and will get some pics in process of those up soon...

11 comments:

  1. So much purple.....

    I do like the aquilas. Do you have anything to go with it though, troops and such?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Totally. It does look a little like the ride for a Batman villain.

    The intention was to do up the World Eaters in Mk.V armor, and the Emperor's Children in Mk.IV, so I'd picked up a couple packs from Forge World, but they just ended up in a box for now. At the moment I'm focused on building the Ad-Mech and painting the Guard. Hope to have more pics of both of those soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. How did you do the gold? I struggle with metallics - I normally do a Bronze/Brown Wash/Gold combo, but it can look a bit tarnished and patchy. Great work, anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - it's coming together. I usually start with a leather brown basecoat on anything I'm going to paint gold. After that I layer on Vallejo's "Glorious Gold" followed by a wash of "Ogryn Flesh". Once that's done I'll do a little highlighting on the extreme edges with the gold again. Easy peasy!

    I'm a little concerned actually, not sure what I'm going to do when I run out of Ogryn Flesh. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work as usual, lovin' that purple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this looks great. Purple can be a nightmare to paint but this looks excellent. I was going to suggest more bling, but actually the restrained decor looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is sexy. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So when you start an army project, do build a list and go from there, or is it more like you pick units that exemplify the army and start building?

    The reason I'm asking is that I sort of started a Mortarion conversion (by accident) and was thinking of doing Pre-Heresey Death Guard, inspired by your example.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks folks!

    @Fulgrim - It'll be getting some more bling on down the road, though I'm still trying to sort out what form it'll take.

    @#2501 - It's a bit more option B than A. Usually it's one or two models that are the germ around which the army forms. Usually it'll be a couple "exemplar" units, then I'll start adding on other units. In the case of the Emperor's Children, the army will germinate from a couple units of Mk.4 armor I picked up from Forge World, this Land Raider, and a Contemptor Dreadnought to represent Rylanor. My biggest struggle is to stop at a nice 2000 points or so, rather than letting it balloon into a 5000+ point monstrosity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you get the aquilae from on the front? I've never seen a land raider with those before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @James Pickard: They're made from doors from the Sanctum Imperialis building kit. Turns out they're almost the perfect size to use as track guards!

    ReplyDelete